Tuesday, November 16, 2010

November 16, 2010: Skunkage


Mom and I beat Dad and Tom at pinochle on Sunday; two games to none.

We skunked 'em!

Just like old times. The boys put up a valiant fight, however. It was a rousing and fun tournament.


Dad winds the old family clock. It was a wedding gift to my grandmother and grandfather, Dad's parents. I think. I believe Dad told me that his mom carried that clock in her lap from Oklahoma to California during the Dust Bowl years. It meant an awful lot to her. I remember it chiming in her home. I always thought it was the most fantastic thing.

It still is.

Watching Dad wind the heirloom made me smile. Such careful hands, as though he felt his mother watching and approving his gentle touch.

'Twas a good day spent with my parents. Sure wish they lived closer so my entire family could enjoy them more often. They miss us as much as we miss them.

Maybe even more, for life is very quiet at the senior residence.

1 comment:

cecily said...

Love that Tom is hiding his cards from you... :-)