Monday, March 12, 2007

Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should

The beach. The glorious Oregon Coast! My two friends and I were there for a long weekend, a supposed holiday from home and hearth, not because home and hearth are undesirable, but because we needed an emptying of sorts, to better live our lives.

The drive up and over was filled with delightful catching up, and sorrows shared. A good beginning.

Interrupting our revelry, her cell phone notified her there was a text message. Nothing important. Her co-worker texted, "Have a fun time! Wish I was there!" in text speak.

Similar messages were sent five or more times before our 2 hour drive ended.

Settled into our lodgings, we headed for the shore, to walk and be soothed at the sea's edge. She checked for messages. Ha, yes, a funny phrase from another friend. One of her adult daughters sent a funny picture. Her son sent a funny picture. Her husband asked where was the new tube of toothpaste. In the presence of our coast's guardian, the Pacific Ocean, lighted with millions of sunshiney sparkles, ebbing, flowing, hissing, crashing, salty-scented, squealing gulls, seaweed littered sands, shells and foam, and there she stood, staring at her tiny tiny screen at a picture of her grandson slobbering. "Isn't that funny!!"

Getting irked, was I, just a little. A teeny bit. "Shake it off," I told myself. "Keep your mouth shut."

At meals, in town shopping, back on the beach, in our room visiting, sharing, out came that cell phone with calls, messages, nothing crucial, just little 'funny things.' For all four days. Interruptions everywhere.

Irritation turned into zeal - I wanted to stomp that phone and throw it into the ocean, or was it HER I wanted to stomp and throw. Both!

I believe the term going around is 'absent present'. This is what she was, for though she was physically with us, her dealings were back home. She never really left home. She brought her trivial day-to-day stuff with her and subsequently dumped it at our feet.

I did manage to get to the beach alone, to unwind. Somehow, though, the purification, the washing I'd become accustomed to on these trips was elusive. Try as I may, the annoyance barred the full-fledged escape I needed.

I felt gypped.

I have a cell phone, yes, yes, I do. It's the family phone, intermittently used, given to the kids when they are on outings, or for emergencies, and for calling home when we are on trips. It costs us $17 a month. We seldom use all our minutes. And, yes, I understand cell phones for businesses. They are indeed handy. It's the silly stuff, the constant silly stuff that bugs me, when taken immediately, as if there were no such thing as an 'off' mode. When do the minds of these constant chatterers digest life's daily input?

Peace constantly shattered leaves little room for gently swirling, settling thoughts, dreaminess, even meditations. I wonder, what does this do to the psyche, to be always chattering, always 'on'? How vivid can experiences be when they are disturbed, when the mind is unnecessarily pulled away to another person, another place?

I was born 100 years too late.

23 comments:

Ann said...

Just reading your account of the non-stop text messages & interruptions was irritating to me. Why do people enjoy this?? I appreciate cell phones because they're USEFUL-- not because they're fun.

Cherie said...

I hear you, Ann.

Pam said...

I like the security and convenience the cell phone brings, but like you, I wonder at just HOW connected we must stay at all times. Especially when you leave your kids in the hands of another capable adult at home... I also marvel at the ads that show the technology for getting EVERYthing on your cell phone -- your email, movies, favorite shows, etc. All on that teeny tiny screen. Can't we wait until we get home anymore? I want to keep up with technology to the point that allows me to function in the ever-changing world (watching my Grandma become lost in the swirl of what eventually became some of the basics because she didn't understand technology made me vow to keep fresh. To a point.) - but it's getting ridiculous.

I hope your next ocean adventure is more refreshing.

And I'm jealous as all get out that you got to go the ocean.

How jealous is all get out anyway?

WHAT is all get out?

Cherie said...

....and I hear you, too, Pam. Keeping up, yeah, I agree, and my kids make sure I'm keeping up with the times, for which I'm grateful. But as you suggest, keeping up is one thing, being sucked in is another.

I have no idea what all get out is, but I know what you mean.....oh, hold on, someone is texting me......

Anonymous said...

100 years too late, I don't think so. We need people like you to remind us how important phones are not and how important faces and friends are!

Good Post!

Pam said...

O, tht wz gr8, Cherie! U r funny. LOL!

Ok, that was the extent of my attempting to text the way some kids do it (and it made me really crabby). But notice I used caps a few times (a no-no) and it took me five times as long to type that! Give me words. REAL words.

And I agree with Sandy.

Anonymous said...

Cherie, I love the way you write. I love it.

Cherie said...

Thanks, Annie, Sandy and Pam. ur gr8 2

Ah, phooey. I'll call you all and share real words as soon as I fish my phone from the bottom of the Pacific

IAIN CUNNINGHAM said...

Oh come on, all you spoilsports! Just cos we don't speak the language. :-) OK, I also get a little bit irritated when people are 'absent present' and are missing out on some real-life experience but, at the end of the day, all that texting which young people do with each other is just about connecting. And is that not what we do with these blogs? All that said, I appreciate everything you say here, Cherie, about the beauty of the ocean. And, yes, I want to see the Oregon coast too.

Cassie said...

Mommy can I have a cell phone? :P
I wan 2 call mi frEnd.
lol

Just kidding. Nice post!

G2G, TTYL,
cassE : )

Cherie said...

Okay, okay, I will concede that you have a reasonable point, Iain, about connecting via cell phones, and blogs. I'll still be irked, I imagine, but I'll use the connecting idea as my, 'something to admire.'

How's that?

I do hope that you do make it out here to the Oregon Coast someday. And to Scotland I hope to travel someday, too.

Cherie said...

Cassie, go to your room!!


(Thanks, kiddo........)

deanna said...

It can be hard, probably, for people with cell phones always on, to choose a time to escape, to switch off. But your post points out, Cherie, our need to do so. To recharge. Maybe not everyone does, but sometimes I've GOT to.

Cherie said...

Me, too, Deanna. If I don't recharge I swear I'll explode........usually all over the people I love most.

Carrie said...

hm lets see what I can come up with.. LOL tht ws funE mom. I lol with you at cel fones . g2g afk Cya AHHHH!!! I hate that!!! Bye mom!

Cherie said...

Caroline......go to your room!! No wait, Cassie is already in there.........uh, uh, go stand in the corner........HEY! PUT MY CELL PHONE BACK IN MY PURSE!!

Oy, what am I gonna do!!!

:-P

Lisa Smith said...

I feel your pain. At the beach...really!

tshsmom said...

I'm soooo with you on this issue!!
We have a Tracfone and use it the same way you use your cell phone. Only 4 people even know our number.

The really weird thing is that we just spent 3 days with my family. Not once did I see any member of my family(around 40 people) talking on a cell phone. We all have cell phones, but NONE of them were turned on!

I got my DVDs today. I'm watching "The Girl in Boxcar 3" as I type this. I'm in heaven! ;)

Cherie said...

Thanks, Lisa, for feeling my pain......I guess it's a beastly beastly sign of the times, and of my impatience. I need an attitude adjustment, methinks. :-)

tshs, so glad you made it home safely. Pretty darn interesting observance you shared here, not a one in use in 3 days. Pretty cool! Some things are just more important. And........."The Girl in Boxcar 3"!!!! I'm so jealous! I just checked Amazon and my DVD's are on the way......soon I'll be Boxcar 3, too, and you, well, you'll be well beyond! Happy watching there in heaven!!

Anonymous said...

It's a matter of being considerate, isn't it. I would have helped you throw your friend into the ocean if I'd been there. I use a cell phone, but I try to be polite.I don't let it control me I control it. You made my laugh, Cherie. Thanx! and I agree with Sandy and Pam, you were born at just the right time!

Cherie said...

Thanks, Ash. You are one of the most considerate teenagers I know. Text me! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Cherie. My friend Ashley linked me to this post since she knows I hate when this happens. You are funny. I laughed. I agree with you.

Cherie said...

Thanks for checking out my site, Katey B.! Welcome! It is a funny story, isn't it, and it's true, which is even more funny! Come back anytime, and tell Ashley "Hi" for me!

:-D