Friday, March 16, 2007

Kindred Hearts

Friendship. Tried. True.

If you’ve linked over to Cassie’s blog you may have read the post where she expresses pain from a cruel situation. Betrayal of friends is tough. The mean girls from my childhood have been replicated, and it pains me. Pains me terribly. Because they have hurt one of my cherished children. Deep disillusion. This is not the first time, nor will it be the last. Still.

I told Cassie that, in time, and possibly when she least expected it, she would discover sincere friendship.

In consoling my children I often wonder if my words are right, if they are true in the reality of a situation or if they just sound wise. It’s hard to know. Not everything I believe is concretely validated.

However, sometimes God gives a front row seat to a scintilla of his goodness. Oh my, the sweet awe.

Such a front seat blessing occured this week after the play that we attended in which Cassie’s friend starred. She and he have not seen each other at all this school year because of misaligning schedules. Even kids can become too busy to keep in touch.

In the last moment of the last scene of the play, Cassie’s friend took two flowers from a vase and handed one to his leading lady as they exited, stage left. Applause was loud and long. What a great show! The lights were turned up, my daughters and I raised from our seats, and headed to the aisle stairs.

There, standing at the bottom of the steps, was Cassie’s dear friend, holding the flower shown in the picture, with an eager glad smile on his face. Cassie lightly stepped toward him, he handed her the flower, and they hugged a heartfelt, tender hug, while sincerely, emotionally exclaiming how very much they’d missed each other! To others it probably looked like an ordinary pair of friends hugging, but the four of us knew how gratifying was this reconnecting, how needed. This moment in a crowded theater amidst jostling actors and audience members was absolutely lump in the throat, tears in the eyes, as if no one else was around beautiful. Neither kid knew just how much the other meant until they had been separated, left to wander among less than kindreds for months. Wonderful it is to be known.

Cassie’s friend had no idea what she’d been through, nor did he know how desperately she needed his genuine friendship at that very moment.

After catching up and promising to get together we headed for the car and home. Glowing, tears in her eyes, gently smiling, Cassie uttered not a sound. She didn’t have to.

But I did. I whispered, “You have a true friend, an always friend.” Tears rolled down her blushing cheeks, she sniffed the yellow flower, nodded and answered emotionally, “I do. I do.”

The contented filling from reconnecting with a flower bestowing friend would not have been so deeply encouraging had Cassie not first painfully lost something which she’d held dear, a thing which turned out to be false.

“In my loss I rejoice, for what I have found.”

Holy ground.

8 comments:

deanna said...

Beautifully expressed, Cherie.

Cassie said...

That was a great night!

Pam said...

It was so painful to endure those betrayals when I was a child, but I must say it is even harder to endure them with MY child. I am sorry for what Cassie has endured, but joyous in her reunion with her Dear True Friend.

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful when you get to see the good things in your children's lives. Good for both Cassie and her friend for being able to put things behind them and relizing what was really important.

tshsmom said...

"Holy ground" indeed! What a beautiful moment!
I've always told my kids that we encounter the same personality types over, and over, and over in our lives. I wish we could spare our kids the pain of dealing with the bad types, but it's part of the great circle of life.

Cherie said...

Thanks, Deanna! You're so nice!

Cassie, yes, it was one of those special times, wasn't it. I'm glad you are over this hurdle and have a chance to rest. It's great having you-know-who around again. I hope we both remember to always make that extra effort when it comes to friends, and not think we'll get to it 'tomorrow'.

Pam, I knew you'd understand. It's weird how it hurts more when it happens to our kids than when it happened to us. A different level of pain. Thanks for your good wishes. Feeling better? Hope so. Glad the turban helped. ;-)

Thanks, Sandy. I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post, but Cassie and the friend who gave her the flower have never had a falling out. He switched schools and also he had to quit the extra curricular activities which he and Cassie had in common from time pressure, so their lives weren't interacting anymore. They didn't realize how much they have in common and how fond they were of each other until they were away from one another. So, it was a reunion of old friends with the extra twist of newly understood kindred qualities. Thanks for your kind words! Is it warmer and less snowy where you are today?

tshs: You're right. Same personality types over and over. I guess after awhile we figure out how to deal with them. Circle of life, yes, you are right about that, too!

Ann said...

What beautfully expressed thoughts-- so many parents have felt the pain that their children feel. My children are older now (33, 31 & 28), but I still remember aching with them. Not that they never have problems today, but it is wonderful to see the complete persons they are now-- all the stronger because of what they endured and learned.

Cherie said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Ann. The fact that I, too, have a couple of grown kids (26 and 23) helps me keep perspective when these types of things happen to my younger kids. I like your description, 'complete persons.' Good way to look at it. :-)