Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tip of the Tongue, Teeth, and Lips

Okay, so you know I am reading Merton's works, right? My brain is still clunking away from that last post, and will be for some time. Looking for freshness, I picked up one of my new books and lovingly opened it.

What did I read?

"Abbot Rambo questioned Abbot Anthony saying: What ought I to do? And the elder replied: Have no confidence in your own virtuousness. Do not worry about a thing once it has been done. Control your tongue and your belly."



Abbots Rambo and Anthony lived in the fourth century A.D.

Hmmm......

Just as difficult to attain today.

Just as noble the struggle.

8 comments:

deanna said...

Those Abbots! We were just learning how the monastic societies began, last night at Peter W.'s MSC class. It's an interesting religious system (as most are). Individuals within it can be weirdly weird, but many have been wise.

Good for you, gleaning the wisdom!

Cherie said...

Peter's class is no doubt full of peritent and fascinating information.

Yes, weird and wise. Thanks for the comment, Deanna!
:-D

tshsmom said...

Isn't it amazing how humanity and life's problems don't change much over the centuries?

I LOVE the framing in that bottom picture! I do that a lot too.

Cherie said...

Yea, tshs, it IS amazing. Tom and I were discussing that last night. Thanks for the compliment on the photo. I took that at the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago.

Anonymous said...

Do not worry about a thing once it has been done. This is perfect for me today!! Thanks Cherie

Cherie said...

Hi Annie! Glad it helped. Such a simple thing that saves a lot of stress, if we could just remember it..... :-)

Anonymous said...

The flowers are so pretty. And I like that bottom picture too. Creative.I LOVE the Grand Canyon.And the advice of the Abbots is good. I printed it up. thanks!

Cherie said...

Hi, Ash!! Glad you liked the picture and the quote. I love flowers sooo much!! I know you do, too. Have a great day!