Monday, April 16, 2007

Lilacs

Can you imagine how these smell? Can you imagine putting your face into the midst of these lovelies and breathing deeply?


I think that there will be the scent of lilacs somewhere in heaven.

I wish there had been a blue sky background today, instead of Oregon gray. Short is the span that lilacs look as fresh and vibrant as these, so I snapped these pictures quickly on my way home from the supermarket this afternoon. I think I spent more time sniffing them, smiling blissfully, with my eyes closed, face buried among them. I'm not a photographer, but you get the idea. Rain is expected tomorrow, rain which may batter and droop these pretties.

The girls were with me when I stopped. They were smiling when I got back to the car.

"What?" I asked.

"We saw you smelling them. You love lilacs, don't you, Mama?"

"I do. I sure do," I admitted.

We have a small lilac bush that Tom gave me for Mother's Day a few years ago. It's in a partially shaded area. Its buds have yet to open.

Soon, though. Soon.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

Oh so sweet the smell and looks of lilacs. I wish spring would arrive, everyone is grouchy here in the north east. We need some spring badly.

Thanks for posting this Cherie, my mind instantly released positive thoughts at the sight of the pictures.

Ann said...

Oh such gorgeous photos. I'm enjoying the beauty of spring flowers like never before. Thanks for sharing your view.

Marianne Elixir said...

Lilacs are one of my most favorite smells. Thanks for sharing the joy.
I dream of someday having a home where I can plan lilac bushes outside my windows and fill the house with a foresmell of heaven each April.

Cherie said...

Sandy, I'm happy the lilac pictures released positive thoughts for you. I understand grouchiness. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have flowers sent to every door in the country! The world!

Ann, glad the flowers gave you joy today! I wonder if someday we'll be able to transmit smells over the internet - like Emeril saying he wished there was "smellivision". I'd send you the scent of these lilacs, that's for sure.

Elixer - You're welcome! Lilac bushes under the window - a great idea! "Foresmell of heaven." I love it!

liz crumlish said...

Pics seem pretty good to me Cherie. I'm sure I can smell them all the way to Scotland - I can dream anyway. Thanks for posting this

Cherie said...

Thanks, Liz. I drove past these pretty flowers this morning with Tom. They are covered with little diamond-like raindrops today which are glistening in the sun. I should grab my camera and walk down there.

I'm a lilac fanatic - and water nut, too.

Hopeless.

:-D

Wandering Coyote said...

Those are spectacular! Ours won't be out for a while yet, and when they do come, they literally only hang around for a few days.

Cherie said...

I'm glad you got to see this post, WC. I put it up basically for you - to give you hope of lilacs or your own in time. I took a good sniff for you - and you can do the same for me, when your lilacs do appear, for mine will sadly be long gone. They are already starting to turn brown.