Thursday, April 26, 2007

Spooky Oil

Cassie, Caroline, and I had a very full day today of grocery shopping, unloading groceries, and doing heavy, sweaty, dirty, spring yardwork, among other things. In great spirits the girls showered and changed into fresh clothes. Then it was my turn. I stepped from the bathroom all showered and fresh, muscles relaxed, with the idea of soup and bread for supper. Ah, it felt good to be done working....and to be clean!

Just then, the girls came running around the corner, disoriented, excited, babbling over one another. "Oh no," I thought, that fearful mommy-knot forming up fast in my stomach.

"Mama, I was grabbing a can of soup out of the pantry and I bumped the new olive oil, and it fell!" said a penitent sounding Cassie.

"Yeah, Mommy," Caroline quickly spoke, excited and flushed the way she looks when she thinks she's in trouble. "It fell all the way from the top shelf onto the cement step, then crashed to the second step, then landed on the cement patio!!"

We have a tall, extra pantry outside, you see, by the back door, above the concrete steps and patio that lead into the house.

Seeing that they were not bleeding, I took a breath, then went right to, "Oh, heaven's nooooooo, not now. I'm so tired......." Oil! Of all things to have to clean up. And in that high traffic area. What a mess. I took it like a man, er, a woman, and began to think what to use to clean it.

"No, Mommy, listen!" both girls exclaimed, interrupting my gloom. "IT DIDN'T BREAK!!! It didn't even crack."

"Wha??? Huh??? Are you sure?" I asked in disbelief, eyes squinting down halfway....oh please, God, let this be true.....

"Yeah, I know because I shook it!" Caroline beamed!

Lucky lucky girls.......and lucky lucky me.

That is one spooky bottle of oil!

8 comments:

Pam said...

Glad you were spared such a monumental clean-up job after your hard day's work!

Let us know if, when you use that oil for cooking, it adds a certain, um, bounciness to your food!

Ann said...

Wow, I gotta find me some of that oil-- if not to use, then as a good luck charm. Since it doesn't break, I can carry it with me everywhere!

Deadmanshonda said...

I agree with Ann-- I need a vile around my neck. Wow.

Cherie said...

You ladies are so funny!

Yes, Pam, I'll tell you if my food bounces from my pan to my plate, or if I feel a strange bounciness inside my tummy after I eat.

Ann and Leisel, you might be on to something.....small, pretty viles, on lovely gold chains, "Spooky Oil" the true Italian Charm!

The thing that made me happiest, besides not having to spend another bunch of money on olive oil, and not having to scrub of course, is the mere fact that I had been given the gift of time. Funny, though, if the girls hadn't knocked to bottle off, and we'd carried on our evening as planned, I wouldn't have apreciated the precious time as much. Hmmmm.........all a matter of perspective.

Anonymous said...

Oil is hard to clean up! Happy day!

Cherie said...

Annie - Happy Day to you, too. May your oil stay in your bottle, your steps stay dry, and the sun shine gently on your shoulders.

Happy weekend!

tshsmom said...

I like your perspective! Now I want to know when some of my disasters will be averted so I can have that extra time. ;)

Cherie said...

Ah, tshs, maybe some have already been averted and you just don't know about it. Thanks for the comment! :-D