Friday, June 15, 2007

Life is Not Carved in Stone

In the movie Kundun, which is a masterfully written and directed biography of the Dalai Lama (aka Kundun), there is a scene where the Dalai Lama, as a very young child, is playing a strategic war-type board game with his teacher, a game which has little army figurines of warriors and such. At one point little Kundun stands up and begins pelting the figurines with some tiny objects, laughing gleefully while many toy soldiers and horses are knocked over. Raising his fists up like a strong man he says in as deep a voice as a five year can muster, "Power! I am on a big mountain hitting men!"

His patient, wise teacher says, while scooping up a handful of men, "I am braver."

Defiantly Kundun responds, "I have more men!" and grabs a chubby handful.

Gathering all the remaining pieces from the board and sliding them toward himself, the teacher calmly responds, looking Kundun square in the eye, "I have smarter men. I have ALL the men."

Kundun sits back down, dejection all over his baby-fat cheeks.

The teacher studies Kundun, and reminds him oh so gently, "Today you lose, Kundun. Tomorrow you may win." Snapping his fingers suddenly he adds softly, "Things change, Kundun."
----------
We are never so 'on-top' that we can't be defeated. We are never so low that we can't rise again.

Patient generosity asks that we allow time and space for change within ourselves, within others.

Yes, things change.

Situations change.

Minds change.

Hearts change.

People change.

There have been many times when one of us, here in this little family, have gently snapped our fingers, kindly reminding another, "Things change, Kundun." It always helps.

Snap.

15 comments:

Marianne Elixir said...

I like this, and it is so true.

Cherie said...

Thanks, M.

Anonymous said...

Everything changes... good reminder.

IndianaJones said...

thank you for the reminder...this resonates with me today.

Cherie said...

I needed that little reminder myself, Desiree and Summer. Sometimes I get jammed up, stuck, like my computer, and I need to start over, with a bit of fresh thinking. Glad it helped you ladies, as well. It's good to remember things change.......

Anonymous said...

A great scene from a great film, if you have not seen it take a look.
Tom

OsoDelSol said...

I likes it. :)

Cherie said...

Hi Tom!

And Hello Osodelsol! Thanks for the visit and comment. I likes it, too.

tshsmom said...

Very wise words!

"We are never so 'on-top' that we can't be defeated." This thought is always on my mind.

"We are never so low that we can't rise again." This thought NEEDS to stay on my mind! ;)

tshsmom said...

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, Tom!!

Cherie said...

Thanks, tshs. I think we would all do well to remember those words more than we do.

And Tom says, "Thanks Tish!"

Happy Father's Day, to L., too, from all of us!!

tshsmom said...

Tish....I like that...thanks Tom!

Cherie said...

tshs, Tom replies, "I had a great Father's Day."

Anonymous said...

I too find this ringing close to home. Very very good.

Cherie said...

I'm glad, Annie. Thanks. You're a good friend.