Friday, June 08, 2007

Son of My Right Hand

"Hello!" he answered the phone with enthusiasm as is his way when his children call.

"Hi, Dad! Happy Birthday!" I responded, eager to describe the birthday gift I was about to give him for this, the 54th anniversary of his birth.

"Dad, I will never be able to give a more fantastic gift than the one I'm giving you today. I just had the baby! You have a new grandson! His name is Benjamin." The words exited quickly, bursting from my excitement.

"Well, that's just great!" Normally full of words, today he was at a loss. He choked up. I choked up.

A very precious moment. My first baby, my first son, was born on my dad's birthday.

Tom and I were in our mid-twenties when we married. We were ready to get on with this family thing, as we'd wandered around in our singleness until it had become a tremendous bore. Years spent being lonely in the midst of dozens of loved ones. We craved the adventure of our own unit, our own home, our own kingdom. We wanted each other and longed for little princes and princesses to fill our castle.
Ben wasted no time in entering the scene. Created in love, born to love, the embodiment of love, no baby was ever adored more. His birth awakened the maternal instincts in me immediately. Immediately! He was early, three weeks so. Purple and requiring great doses of oxygen he was placed into an isolet to aid his breathing.

Hours after his welcomed joining of the bright-light, noisy, outside-the-womb world a brusque nurse stepped harshly into my sterile hospital room and announced to me that it was uncertain whether he would live through the night.

"Oh, he's going to be fine," I assured her nonchalantly, sighing in new-mommy contentment. She looked as if she might call the psych ward as she glared and vigorously shook her head at me. I KNEW Ben was meant for great things. My heart knew he was safe.

And he was.

Stupid nurse.

With joy we brought our little prince home, placed him in the cozy bassinet which had been prepared weeks earlier for his arrival. He slept. I stroked his fuzzy head, placed my hand on his narrow chest to feel the lift and settling of his tiny lungs, and I cried. I cried and cried and cried. Love, in the form of salty tears.
Tom stood next to me and cried, too. Adopted at birth, Tom had never known any of his natural family at this point in his life. Ben was the very first, his arrival having lucidly, artfully played the deepest, most primal heartstring in his awestruck father's soul. A moment on holy ground, the silence that blared out LOVE, our family had begun with this quietly sleeping infant upon whose form our eyes remained fixed.

God was gracious to give us Ben as a first child, to allow us to enter the waters of parenthood gently, slowly, easily, without the icy shock of a 'difficult baby.' He slept well, ate well, and grew well.

Ben has a string of achievements and talents which I could list here, but there is something that touches my tender-motherliness much more than his outstanding abilities. His heart, his sensitive, kind heart, full of awareness and compassion. His is the heart that is learning, the heart believing in itself, the heart listening when confronted, the heart instantly responding when there is sadness or need in others. The adventurous heart, the daring heart, the creative heart, which, though full of large ideas and goals, keeps room for the seemingly small, the still, the quiet, the whispers of life that produce wisdom.

Happy Birthday, Ben! You remain the Son of My Right Hand, the joy of my joy, my first encounter with the powerful emotions and mother mountain-lion protective instincts that are motherhood.

Thanks for who you are!

I love you.

21 comments:

Deadmanshonda said...

I'm all teary eyed, now. Sighh...this is just beautiful Cherie. Just beautiful.

And how old is this wunderkid?He's awfully cute!;) In a few years I'm just going to have to steal either yours or Ann's sons I've decided...great ideas for mother in laws.hahaha...teasing!

Wandering Coyote said...

Wow, what a great tribute, Cherie. Happy birthday, Ben!

What is it with some nurses? My mom, just after she had me, was told by a nurse that blond women could never breastfeed properly, so don't even bother. I was bottle fed. What's up with that??

Cherie said...

Holy, moley, WC, what IS up with that? Must have been a brunette, eh? Thanks for the comment.

Leisel, he's turning 26 - and he's even better looking in person. ;-) Thanks to you, too, for the comment.

Anonymous said...

This is lovely, Cherie. A beautiful description of mother-hood and beloved son! Thanks for sharing. Happy Birthday, Ben!

liz crumlish said...

Great post. Does Ben know how blessed he is with a mom like you?

Pam said...

Happy Birthday to Ben! Beautiful tribute, Cherie.

Stupid nurse is right.

tshsmom said...

WOW, you sure have a LOT of handsome men in your family!

After reading this BEAUTIFUL post, I'm certain that you and Tom have raised a wonderful future husband and father!

BTW Tom, L was raised in foster care and felt the same way when his kids were born. ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEN!!

deanna said...

Happy Birthday to Ben! I hope to meet him sometime, since I enjoy the rest of your family, Cherie. Thanks for sharing the becoming-a-mom story in a special way.

Cherie said...

You're welcome, Annie! Thanks.

Liz, I think Ben does know how very much I love him, yes. Thanks!

Pam, thanks a bunch! Nice to have you back, BTW. :)

tshs: Thanks. Amazing that L and Tom have yet another thing in common!

Deanna - Next time he comes to church with us I'll have to introduce you. Thanks for the birthday greetings!

Thanks to all of you for leaving comments! Great way to start the day.......

Anonymous said...

Cherie, This is so much better than a Hallmark, Happy Birthday Ben. This post brings back many happy memories.
Tshs, Does L know his family?

Cherie said...

They are happy memories, aren't they. The best thing? We just keep making them - memories I mean, not babies.........

;-)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you are able to reach the core of my heart. This one was one of those times. Reminds me of the love I have for my sons. Great post Cherie.

Cherie said...

Thank you, Sandy. Makes me feel all warm and gooshy inside. From one mother of wonderful sons to another, I appreciate your comments so much!

Imp said...

Thanks for the birthday post, mom. And thank you to everyone for all the "happy birthday's". I was lucky to get the parents I did.

Cherie said...

Oh gosh, now I'm choking up with teary eyes - you're welcome, Ben! I hope we get to see you on the actual date of your birthday.....miss you! Thanks for commenting.

Deadmanshonda said...

Well I'm 26...so give him my number. This is perfect. ;)

Cherie said...

Yes, this is, Leisel!!! Perfect! ; )

Ann said...

Wait just a minute now....I go out of town, only to come home & read that Leisel is trying to meet some other mom's son!! Well, I can hardly blame her after reading that lovely tribute. The love shines through it. Wonderful.

Cherie said...

Ann, you made me laugh out loud!! Thanks for the sentiments about this post.

Deadmanshonda said...

Look, I'm not kidding-- you two are my favorites for mom-in-law ideas and I hear from neither son!What's a girl to do??

;-)

Seriously though-- good hearts are hard to find. Sighhhh....especially in L.A. for some reason. Could it be the superficiality of it all? The boys on my team got to talking about stocks and cars and women with derogatory terms yesterday and I truly wanted to throw myself under the wheels of a passing truck.... ;-)

Cherie said...

Don't throw yourself under the wheels, Leisel, throw the boys on the team there! ;-)

As far as why Ben hasn't called - her name is Sarah.

;-) ;-) (That's a double wink.)