Thursday, February 16, 2023

Uncle Vincent - Almond Blossoms


Vincent Van Gogh's 'Almond Blossom' oil on canvas, 1890

In the South of France almond trees bloom as early as February and, like many early bloomers, were a signal that spring was on the way. For Van Gogh, almond blossoms represented awakening and hope. 

This painting celebrates the birth of Vincent's nephew and namesake Vincent Willem Van Gogh, the son of Theo, his brother, and Theo's wife Jo.

Vincent wrote to his mother of the birth of little Vincent saying: How glad I was when the news came . . . I should have greatly preferred him to call the boy after Father, of whom I have been thinking so much these days, instead of after me; but seeing it has now been done, I started right away to make a picture for him, to hang in their bedroom, big branches of white almond blossom against a blue sky.

A tender soul, our Vincent Van Gogh. Uncle Vincent to his namesake. 

Beautiful.



 

No comments: