Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Happy Valentine's Day

A simple man, is my husband. 

Simply kind.

Simply gentle.

Simply in love with me.

For over 43 years.

A steady, unwavering, strong love.

Appreciation for this love of ours grows as we get older. Time has a way of clarifying things.

When younger couples shower each other with dozens of roses and boxes of chocolate and glittery jewelry - all things we used to give - we give each other ourselves, our knowing of each other, the fluff removed and the treasure exposed.

We give each other our hearts, full of seasoned love, full-bodied and a little fruity like a good red wine.

He gave me a vase full of pretty pastel pink carnations because they are my favorite merry and light balance to the heaviness of winter.

He gave me four See's chocolates - my favorite flavors because he knows them - instead of an entire box because that would be too much, less special, less knowing.

He gave me a card in a red envelope that I will open when he comes home.

He gave me his heart that has God in the center, and me around the edges where I want to be, floating in there with our children and grandchildren in joy and love.

These gestures of his, these knowing gifts of kind thoughtfulness, these mean the world to me.

The world.




2 comments:

Tom said...

Glad that you enjoyed it, Thank you for the beautiful words.

Cherie said...

You're welcome! You are worth every beautiful word.