Wednesday, May 23, 2007

'Outside the Box'

Back in March, in a post which describes my experiences with Snowball, my kitten, I wrote:

By intruding upon the indifference of our given environment He provides special means of nourishment for our hearts, minds, bodies, and spirits, while watchfully caring for and guiding us in ways unknown, though appreciated, to growth.

When those who ought to care do not, when differences seem too complicated to sort out, when ignoring comes easier than effort, from 'outside of the box' can come God's merciful hand to set things right, his own way.


He makes all the difference.


It's been a long time since Snowball was part of my existence, but it is now that I am again witnessing the hand of God, from 'outside the box', intruding into my pain, and setting things right.

Never doubting that he is there, nor doubting that he cares, still his merciful hand at work sucks my breath right out of my lungs. Why am I surprised? Because I don't pay close enough attention?

On a weblog were spilled my vague utterances. On a weblog came special means of nourishment from God, via the comment forum - 'outside the box'. Again, he, this time through cyber-friends, has made all the difference.

When we were flying from Eugene to Seattle the other day, while I had my nose smashed against the airplane window to see all I could of the view, I noticed the sun brilliantly reflected in hundreds of pools of water from small ponds, to creeks and rivers, to large lakes. Gradually as we flew north, as if raising their heads to greet us, the sun brought each of these otherwise ordinary objects into startling view, reflecting itself upon them. Squinting was necessary, so bright were these numerous reflections, and still my eyes teared.

Thinking of Moses with his shining face, I had a weird thought. "If God were to sort of float over the earth, would he see his reflection in us as our hearts, recognizing his voice, would cause our heads to tilt toward him, exposing our faces, like flowers following the sun? Would we reflect his glory back to him, in the same blinding sort of way that these waters, large and small, were reflecting the sun?"

It was a nice thought, comforting somehow.

Then Struggle and Funk happened, which compelled kind, deeply compassionate people to come to my aid, at a moment's notice this week. Like light-reflecting waters, they cast back the truth, clearly pointing my way to me, gently lifting me from despair.

Together they became the hand of God, from 'outside the box'.

He does indeed make all the difference.

My heart bows to yours, dear friends, in deepest respect, and thanksgiving.

"...but God intended it for good...."

11 comments:

liz crumlish said...

Cherie, what beautiful words : "If God were to sort of float over the earth, would he see his reflection in us as our hearts, recognizing his voice, caused our heads to tilt toward him, exposing our faces, like flowers following the sun?
I thank God for your friendship albeit a cyber one and for your wisdom and supreme gift with words. By sharing your funk this week, you've enabled many of us to feel close and a bit less impotent and you've alerted us all to God's grace in startling new ways. Thankyou girlfriend.

Cherie said...

Liz, thank you. The greater feeling of closeness is mutual. Thank you for your insights and expressions. You've been a dear friend!

tshsmom said...

"If God were to sort of float over the earth, would he see his reflection in us as our hearts, recognizing his voice, would cause our heads to tilt toward him, exposing our faces, like flowers following the sun? Would we reflect his glory back to him, in the same blinding sort of way that these waters, large and small, were reflecting the sun?"

Cherie, that is one of the most beautiful passages I've EVER read!! I actually do that. I always feel God's presence in the beauty of nature. There are many, many times that I have stood, with my face to the sky and my arms stretched out, just basking in the glory that God has created for us.
I revel in the beauty of sunrises, sunsets, muted snowfalls, full moons, and even the violence of a thunderstorm. It's all beautiful and awe inspiring!!
I guess we're all just "God's flowers".
I'm so grateful that God revealed the mysteries of the internet to all of us! Who would EVER think that cyber-friends could have such a beautiful bonding experience?!

You're AMAZING!

Cherie said...

tshs - you will not be surprised at all to know that the words you wrote about your experiences in and with nature, I could have penned. I do the EXACT same thing - sunrises, snowfalls, full moons (I ADORE full moons!), and thunderstorms which make the hairs on my arms stand up, my mouth upturn in an expectant grin. We are kindreds, you and me - you are there, I am here, and we bond. YOU are amazing.

Thanks for your high praise - the fact that you (and you, too, Liz) understand what I'm saying, means a lot to me. You are both THE BEST!

tshsmom said...

I'm not surprised. ;)

I just posted something that should give you a giggle.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, you have all touched my heart today. Cherie your words are precious. You all have a great way of putting thoughts to words. Thank you!

Cherie said...

tshs - ha! It did make me giggle - out and out laugh. Holy floors, Batman!

Sandy, you are precious! I'm glad that your heart was touched by these wonderful friends. Isn't it nice to discover an oasis of goodness, love, and compassion in this often times grisly world? Amazes me. I'll never be nervous about expressing my vulnerability again - these marvelous people have come through like angels. Thanks, friend!

tshsmom said...

That's why I did it...I thought you needed a laugh! ;)

Cherie said...

Good instincts, tshs, good instincts!! :-D

deanna said...

Away from blogs for a couple of days, and now I read the core of caring you received, Cherie.

What a gift, stretching in many directions.

P.S. Thanks for the loan of yet another book. I should start calling you "Librarian Cherie." ;o)

Cherie said...

Oh, please, no. Not librarian Cherie. Shuddering from memories of the librarian at my high school......buhuhuh....

....how about, Cherie, who is my friend. Yeah. That works. :-)

Glad you stopped by here on the blog, but more glad you stopped by in person!

Thanks, Friend!