Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Lessons from Black-Eyed Susans

Apologies for the 18 day gap between my last post and this one. Life events happen. 

Happy for my personal interlude. Happy to be back. 

This morning I carefully snipped the curled-up flower heads from my cheery black-eyed Susans. Amazing to me is the difference it makes when surgically removing dead flowers, leaving only vivacious blooms. My eyes are instantly drawn to the beauty, symmetry, colors, and shapes instead of to the brown, crispy dead flowers crowding the fresh ones. Is it because I am the gardener that I after that first glance I quickly focus on the deadheads rather than the flourishing flowers? I don't know. But I do.

As usual, a life lesson presented itself.

And Bible verses as well.

"Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me Heavenward in Christ Jesus." ~~ Philippians 3:14

"Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith." ~~ Hebrews 12:1b

Thanks to a steady hand and orange sheers this morning the sunny flowers bob and soak up the sun free from encumbrances. Clipping the finished blossoms allows room and energy for baby buds to reach toward the sun themselves. The entire group of flowers works together, under the care of me, the gardener, offering their proudest presentation. 

Refreshing the black-eyed Susans reminds me to do some personal gardening, to cast off unnecessary mental, emotional, or spiritual burdens, unceremoniously tossed within by others or my own self, or, to be honest, by current events. (But let's not go there right now.) 

Under the care of my Gardener, and by my choice to clear away the slog and bog, I become brightly available to offer my very best to those around me. Renewing my inner environment by taking stock of the inventory in there - including the rubbish that needs removal - creates the freedom to thrive, to continue. Better still it entices the desire to bloom, to let my beauty shine, my inner light. It is the same for you.

"...let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." ~~ Matthew 5: 16

In addition to helping others, peace and contentment are ours when we move through life lighter and cared for.

If we do the work, the benefits will come. 

The benefits of caring for my flowers are a jolly yellow color spot and the bees and butterflies that visit. 

In the case of my heart, mind, and soul, the benefits of discarding untruths and old hurts are relief, peace, renewed energy, and hope.

Which reminds me of another verse: 

"But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." ~~ Isaiah 40:31

Happy Gardening! 


2 comments:

Tom said...

So good, great analogy, loved it!

Cherie said...

Thank you, Tom! I'm glad you enjoyed it.