Friday, June 09, 2023

Debussy and Me

When an unsettledness presses on me, Debussy's music calms me down, restores my balance.

Claude Debussy (1862-1918, French), considered by some to be the first Impressionist Composer, though he himself rejected this term, was the youngest of five children in a musical family, his father a sales representative, his mother a seamstress. He was close to his siblings and had an especially strong relationship with his parents throughout his life. 

When invited into the background of my day - while I write or pay the bills, or clean, or prepare a meal - Claude's soulful pieces create tranquility. 

My face relaxes.

My mind focuses.

My breathing becomes deep and restful.

And whatever I am working on becomes pleasant.

Such a simple fix to banish broody moods.

This is the power of art, more precisely the language of art, which has a passport to regions of my being words cannot navigate. Put another way, the language of art is the key to the lock on emotion's door. Gently and quietly this language enters. It simply nods its head to my mood, understanding even when I don't. This artfulness speaks to my heart which responds to both humanness and divinity. Soon my own head nods in return.

A powerful language it is.

The power of art. Any masterful art.

God is an artist. I am made in His image.

It is not surprising that the lovely language of beautiful art turns my heart to the Creator, no words necessary.

"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weaknesses. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words."          Romans 8:26  

Here is a link to one of the greatest pianists of all time, Lang Lang, the young musician from China. This is a video of him on a boat, on the Seine in Paris, at night, lights all around, lovely cinematography, playing Debussy's Clair de Lune. Such a soulful young man. He is transported by the music and thus I am, too. Enjoy!

No comments: