Thursday, February 12, 2009

Huh?

Back and forth she hovered, comparing prices on quarts of imitation cream for coffee. This one and that one, vanilla flavored or almond, green labels, red, yellow. This ' good nutrient' added, that 'bad one' left out. So many choices! Finally she settled on one just as her husband wheeled their loaded shopping cart around the corner.

"I found a good deal on this one!"

It was a quart of the food-like substance, ingredient list an inch long of chemicals discovered in a scientist's lab. The price: $2.67. She was quite pleased.

I felt sad for right there on the top shelf, in quiet purple and white cartons, stood quarts of cream. Real cream. One natural ingredient. For 98 cents.

Maybe she was lactose intolerant.

Lemmings. We've become lemmings.

6 comments:

tshsmom said...

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I use powdered creamer at home. I go to work early, so I only drink coffee at home on the weekend. Real cream would be wasted here. I do drink the "real" stuff at work all work though. ;)

Cherie said...

I hope I didn't make you feel bad, Tshs. It was just a weird moment and I felt the need to get it down in print somewhere. I do like the little lemming with the lifesaver, though.

tshsmom said...

No, I beat myself up about that vice all the time. It WAS a weird moment. ;)
BTW, my last sentence should say work all week. Oops!

Cherie said...

Oh, don't beat yourself up - everyone's entitled to a few vices. We are human, afterall.

thebookbaglady said...

I love this post!

Cherie said...

Thanks, G!