Monday, June 12, 2006

Eagles and Beagles



The girls and I were sitting on the back porch rocking in the log rockers when we spotted a huge eagle soaring overhead in the southern sky. What a glorious sight! He soared, turned, made a loop and flew over the giant silver maples up to the northern sky. We watched him glide on the air currents with his wide wings carrying him to some tall old Douglas firs where he landed.

Such a graceful creature! It's not a common occurrence to see such large hawks or eagles when here in town. We see littler ones now and then. I think they go after the (shudder) squirrels. We see majestic birds of prey in the Cascades when we go up there, but here, from our porch, well, it was one of those special moments.

Sammy, our beagle, was in the back yard, too. He had been snooping out squirrels as they scampered along the fence pickets chattering and taunting him on their way to the trees or the feeder. When the eagle flew overhead Sammy froze and gazed up at it in seeming wonder. He followed it along with us until he could see it no more. He was very very alert and interested in that big bird. It was almost as if he experienced awe.

I know WE did.

I always think of John Denver when I see eagles and hawks and his song goes through my head.

"Come dance with the west wind
And touch on the mountaintops,
Sail o'er the canyons and up to the stars!
And reach for the heavens
And hope for the future,
And all that we can be
Not just what we are."

How much I appreciate words which can express thoughts in times of inspiration!

The girls and I had one of those 'stop time,' 'freeze the moment' sort of encounters. Refreshing. All because God directed a mighty bird to fly overhead just when we were out there to see him.

Thanks, God!

(In case you are wondering, this picture of the eagle is one I took in Sitka, Alaska. I didn't have my camera with me yesterday and didn't want to miss the 'show' to run into the house to fetch it.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cherie, while driving home tonight I was thinking about all the ways you have and do bring light and beauty into my life. Thank you