Saturday, September 27, 2008

Paul Newman

I've long looked to Paul Newman as a role model. I mean, come on! Racing cars in his 80's. Giving all the profits from his natural food line to charities - to the tune of hundreds of millions over the years. And he was married to his second wife, Joanne Woodward, for over 50 years.

Asked the secret of his marriage, Newman once said: "I know this is going to sound corny but there's no reason to roam. I have steak at home. Why should I go out for a hamburger?"

That's one way to look at it, a good way, a positive way.


He has passed away, lung cancer got the better of him.

In a statement, his daughters said, "Always and to the end, Dad was incredibly grateful for his good fortune. In his own words: 'It's been a privilege to be here.'"


And it's been a privilege to inhabit this earth with you for a little while, sir.

I'll miss you.

8 comments:

Cassie said...

Ohh Mommy. It's so sad.

Cherie said...

Yes. Yes it is, Cassie. But, like your brothers said, "He had a good long life."

tshsmom said...

One of my favorite actors!
I do believe that he was a good man.
I remember when Joanne Woodward was asked what it was like living with a sex symbol. She said something like:"He lays on the couch in his underwear while he watches TV and drinks beer. Some sex symbol!"
She loved the real man, and I feel so sorry for her loss.

Sandy said...

I know, so sad to say goodbye to such a good - and handsome - man. This is a nice tribute Cherie!

His Love is the Theme of My Song said...

I have wonderful memories of going to see "The Sting" a million times with you! And seeing "Butch Cassidy" at the drive-in! Ah, those were the days! Yes, he will be missed; what a treat to be able to still see him in the movies.

Cherie said...

Tshs: I have been thinking about Joanne Newman and how hard it must be for her to be without her husband. She'll adapt, but it will never be the same.

Sandy: Yes, handsome for sure, all the way to the end. I heard him say once that it's because he had good genes, wasn't anything for him to take credit for. What a guy!

HLITTOMS: I've been thinking about you for days now - remembering the very same thing! How many times did we see it?!? Not enough. "Ya folla?"
"Ohhh, Henry..." I've since watched it with Cassie and Caroline - it's like Cherie and Janet all over again. They know the quotes! It's too cute - and surreal.

Bridget Jones said...

Thanks for this post. What a terrific guy.

Cherie said...

BJ, a terrific guy for sure.