Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Contemplating the Moon...Again

Did you see the moon last night?

It was weird from where I was standing. Haloed, then partially shadowed, yellow, then dark orange, high in the sky, then low. It seemed to take its own sweet time wandering from east to west in the inky black sky.

The moon holds me in its spell, that silent satellite. A heavenly object visible to the naked eye, pulling the waters of Earth, mesmerizing its creatures. No light of its own yet some nights a full moon offers enough light to read by. Reflected light.

To find the lights of life, the bright spots, the inspirational people, the thoughts and deeds which enlighten in a world that can seem eternally dim, and then to reflect them. To offer enough light to others that they can journey forth - one step at a time.
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." Jesus, John 8:12
Jesus comes to mind and his life of wisdom and understanding, compassion and salvation. Not overbearing like a scorching summer sun, but gently, consistently finding us in our quiet places; like the moon he effects us whether we know it or not.

An analogy such as this breaks down pretty quickly. But I like to think of Jesus being a constant in my life, like the moon, one which offers many perspectives, much mystery, and opportunity for my human heart to look up and discover what is real in a world of fakery.

It was just a big ol' orange moon to some, but to me it was a chance to contemplate.

A pleasant frame of mind on a summer evening.

4 comments:

tshsmom said...

"To find the lights of life, the bright spots, the inspirational people, the thoughts and deeds which enlighten in a world that can seem eternally dim, and then to reflect them. To offer enough light to others that they can journey forth - one step at a time."

BEAUTFUL! You express my thoughts far better than I can, my friend!

Cherie said...

Tshs: Thanks, friend!

Mike S said...

Very nicely stated. Beautiful moon here last night, bright as the sun it seemed.

deanna said...

I sure like the picture. I konk out most nights before glimpsing the moon, but one evening last week I saw it.

Always constant, yet changing from our points of view, mysterious. Thanks, Cherie, for these contemplations.