Friday, January 18, 2008

"An Unfinished Life"

In watching the movie An Unfinished Life for the fourth time I was moved, yet again, with the beauty of the film, the story, the layers, the final words.

Two older men, Einar and Mitch, long-time friends, wounded by life, restored by truth, sitting on the porch of Mitch's cabin sharing words in muted, pensive tones:

Einar: You think the dead really care about our lives?

Mitch: Yeah, I think they do. I think they forgive us our sins. I even think it's easy for them.

Einar: Griff [young granddaughter] said you had a dream about flying.

Mitch: Yeah. I got so high, Einar, I could see where the blue turns to black. From up there, you could see all there is. And it looked like there was a reason for everything.

10 comments:

Cassie said...

I just love that movie Mommy! What a nice Piece of it you found to post! I know it will become one of those movies we see a MILLION TIMES!!!!!!!!! : )

Cherie said...

I love it, too, Cassie. Especially the part where Einar is working on the truck. : )

I think we may as well buy it, don't you? :D

Cassie said...

Yes that is my favorite part too! : ) We should just buy it!

Cherie said...

Okay, ya talked me into it. We'll keep ours eyes peeled.

Kelly said...

I've never seen the movie - but now I am aching to see it!

Cherie said...

Oh rent it, Kelly, I think you'll love it! My daughters and I were commenting on how each scene could be stopped, printed up, and hung a wall, so beautiful. And the story, not icky sweet, not mean and grumpy, but real. So real. You'll have to let me know if you see it and what you think, even if it doesn't float your boat.

tshsmom said...

This movie sounds like something our family would like. I'll have to see if our video store has it.
Have you guys seen Second Hand Lions?

Cherie said...

Yes, we've seen Second Hand Lions, another movie we watch now and then, one with a really good message. Live while you live!

You'll have to let me know if you and your guys like or don't like An Unfinished Life. It's not a chick flick, not a guy movie, just a good story filmed and acted beautifully.

Anonymous said...

I rented it last night and you are right. It's beautiful. Thank you for pointing it out!

Cherie said...

Ah, good, Annie. So glad it touched your heart as it did mine. Good art deserves to be shared!