Monday, January 07, 2008

Snow and Daffies - Huh?

Saturday evening it began to snow. In no time our tulip leaves, the same ones seen here, looked like this. They were completely buried soon after this photo was taken.

All that snow has melted already. We are in the banana belt of western Oregon. We get the fun, but not the mess.

Usually.

Areas further west, between the Willamette Valley and the Pacific Ocean are having quite a time of it though, with mud slides, downed trees, and wet snow making everything worse.

The folks further east, in the Cascades, have treacherous driving conditions on the roads and heavenly Utah Powder at the ski resorts. Yin and Yang, baby.

You can watch the news to see the devastation in California and Nevada. Wow.

Three storms, one-two-three, and we are feeling it. Another snow is due tonight. The skies have 'that look.'

We shall see.

For you kind souls who have inquired, my family and I are fine. Like I said, banana belt. So far, so good.

It's January 7th, and surprisingly, these brave (foolish?) daffodils are already peeking their chubby little heads and slender leaves through the mulch in one of our flower beds, watered aplenty by torrential rains, as well as melting ice and snow. I expect my one type of tulips to be banzai bulbs; they are always up and taking a ragged beating in the middle of winter, though they don't flower until true spring. But the daffies usually wait their turn, remaining nestled in the warmer earth. Will they make it? Probably. Still, I rubber-necked when I saw these brave soldiers this morning, thinking I must be crazy. Nope.

Always, the hope of new life.

Nature keeps me on my toes, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

At the same time my heart and prayers go out to those who are suffering the terrible effects of these storms. Heartwrenching. And yet, such courage is shown in times of tragedy. Courage that sustains - and inspires those of us watching from our safe havens.

5 comments:

tshsmom said...

I'm relieved to hear that you are missing the worst of the weather. Hail is bad enough. :(
I'm enjoying the snow cover. My yard looks much better than it did last fall after the electrical trench was dug.

Wandering Coyote said...

We are getting the brunt of that storm now, I think. It's totally DUMPING here right now. The skiers will be thrilled.

Cherie said...

Tshs: Snow is definitely the great equalizer, covering all the is gorgeous and all that is not. I wish we had snow like yours.

WC - I hope you are safe and sound there in all that dumpage. I'll bet it's beautiful! And yep, the skiers will be in snow heaven.

Anonymous said...

Daffodils already? In January? What a wonderful world! I have to laugh at your banzai bulbs. I have some of those too. I'm amazed each year when they flower after the abuse they take in winter.I'm happy to know you and your family are safe. Thank you for sharing this glimpse of your winter with us Cherie! Another lovely post.

Cherie said...

You're welcome, Annie, and thank you.

Banzai bulbs are a mystery, that's for sure. I have other tulips that don't come out until after the daffies. Those in the photo are some odd bulbs I picked up somewhere years ago, and they keep me entertained.