Thursday, January 10, 2008

Peppered With Glimpses

"Our days are simply peppered with glimpses of God all around. The trick is to catch those flashes, to wallow in the present and soak them up so that on those grey days when life is more like a game of hide and seek, our souls can receive balm from the memories of God echoing around us. Seeing God in everything today will help provide sustenance on those days when we refuse to be distracted by God's playfulness."

~~~Frederick Buechner, as paraphrased by Liz


(Thanks, Liz, for sharing this quote.)

7 comments:

tshsmom said...

I guess it all comes down to "seek and ye shall find". Some days we're too distracted to seek. :(
It's a good thing that God doesn't get too distracted to take care of us. ;)

deanna said...

Lovely quote. Playful God. Easy to forget, God's got no worries. I'm the spoiled sport so often.

Cherie said...

Well put, Tshs, as usual.

Deanna, yep, easy to forget amongst all the rough stuff. So easy.

Anonymous said...

Wallow in the present and soak up the glimpses of God. Wow! I like this quote. Are those chestnuts in the picture?

Cherie said...

Yes, Annie, they are chestnuts that we have yet to roast on an open fire! See how they sprout. Maybe I should plant them instead. Ha!

liz crumlish said...

Cherie,
So delighted you're rediscovering Buechner too - another bond between us - its "Listening to your life" I'm reading too. However I'm afraid the bit you quoted is just my clumsy attempt at summing up what I felt he was trying to say for January 8th. Buechner inspires the poetic in us.

Cherie said...

I see now that you have no quotation marks around the paragraph. Goodness, Liz, your paraphrase was Buechner-esque and I fooled myself. I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I shall think of you with each reading of Listening to Your Life, Liz, and be grateful you pointed me in its direction.