Friday, April 20, 2007

Calm Water


"Men cannot see their reflection in running water, but only in still water."
--Chuang Tzu

The hideousness of life comes creeping around and slams you when you least expect it, and from the last person on earth that you imagine would hurt you in such a way. (No, not Tom or the kids.)

But this happens. It happens to all of us, now and then.

The response we make to it is the important thing.

I want to let loose a stream of justice-seeking words, but that won't help. It never does.

So, I'll write vaguely, and wait for calmness to return to its post.

And I'll fold the laundry. And I'll enjoy the kids. And I'll rejoice that Tom and I were able, together, to fix the refrigerator for free this morning.

There. I feel better already.

Calm the waters of your heart, old girl. The better to see your reflection. Once calmed, the problem will no doubt shrink, and peace will be restored.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I here you! I wish I had the right words when I feel upset or angry but find it better to retreat and wait. I wish I had enough wisedom to follow this advise too, all the time I mean.

Cherie said...

I know what you mean - just lucky today that I can follow the advice. I found the space between stimulus and response, before I jumped the gun.

tshsmom said...

Yeah, there's a lot of wisdom in the count to 10 before speaking advice. I rarely follow that advice and my words usually come back to bite me.

Cherie said...

tshs, me, too. Yeeouch!

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Cherie.

Anonymous said...

The photos are perfect for this post. Some of yours?

Cherie said...

Hi, Annie! Yes, most of the pictures on this blog are pictures I took. Some of them Tom or the kids have taken. The ones in this post are 1. a rushing creek between Durango and Silverton, Colorado, taken from aboard the narrow-gauge railway during a water stop and 2. a pretty pond near Mendenhall Glacier outside of Juneau, Alaska. Such wonderful memories.

Pam said...

I hope your waters are calm and your pastures are green again soon, Dear Friend... And I am sorry someone has hurt you. Want me to go sit on them? (I always offered to do that for my kids when someone was mean.)

Cherie said...

Pam, would you, please????