Monday, April 09, 2007

Inside Out

Good clean competition. Such a thing exists, lending inspiration, motivation, and growth. Sometimes it takes the observation of a person seriously tapping into their own ability before we will rouse ourselves to take the action required for our full potential to flow. It's a gift to be motivated, not only to us personally, but to everyone who benefits from whatever is fully offered, whatever the discipline. Yes, I believe that competition can be a great resource.

However, it seems as though competition has too often overflowed its boundaries, to our detriment. It seems to have overtaken too many of the people I love, and those I don't even know. It's one thing to pursue a thing for fun or challenge, for skill building and exercise, or for expression, and quite another to strive for fame, rewards, and personal definition in that pursuit.

The same holds true for work. To work hard to support a family, or for the satisfaction intrinsic to occupation, or to relieve a societal need is noble, but to work hard in order to be defined by your work, for prestige, and for more and more money (there is no such thing as 'enough' I am told by the wealthy) is not noble, in my opinion. It is destructive. It mercilessly pounds the delicate part of a human, the part that notices true priority and balance, the quiet crucial part that is nurtured by consideration and simplicity towards wisdom, the intuitive nature which lets us know when we are needed elsewhere, or when elsewhere is needed in us. The part that knows there is something more to life than what is before our eyes and longs to learn what that is. Thankfully, this deeper facet is both resilient and tenacious. It will have its day, one way or another - most of the time, and eventually.

A little competition has been good for me, for I tend to be a listener. It gives me the bump I need to get moving now and then, to try new things, to polish up the old. I am happy that I can see the danger in competing for validation. I guess I've seen it enough in those around me, been the recipient of the neglect it induces, to have made the decision early in life to keep listening for the voice of God in my heart as well as in the resources of life, while trying to hold self-promotion at very long arm's length.

See, I don't want to find myself old and defeated by life and greed, by the bad side of competition, realizing that in neglecting the precious, I have come to a regretful, broken ending, haunted by the memories of damaged loved ones, by the life that could have been, had I only listened more closely to reality, while fleeing that devil pride.


(Postscript: Cassie has posted her latest story about a little girl in Japan. Just thought some of you might like a good escape.)

15 comments:

liz crumlish said...

Cherie,
your blog is often so profound. So many folk feel they have to achieve before they count. Instead of feeling valued for who they are and not what they do. I believe the gospel points us to being rather than doing, to knowing ourselves loved and that, in itself, being our motivation for life. We don't have to be achievers for God to love us - thankfully. Does that make sense?

deanna said...

Cherie and Liz, you both make sense to me. Always, the reminder is essential.

Cherie said...

It makes absolutely perfect sense, Liz. It is apparent that you and I see eye to eye on this. Thanks for the input!

Cherie said...

Essential reminders - for we dumb sheep, who tend to become confused, and lost. Thanks, Deanna!

tshsmom said...

Oh yeah; you're singing my song Cherie!!
We have several young, 30-something friends who are following that path. They're so busy pursuing their careers, that they HIRE people to teach their children to skate and play catch!

Cherie said...

tshs: That day of reckoning will hit them someday, and they will know what I mean in my last paragraph. Makes me so sad. Nothin' I can do.

Cassie said...

Good post! I know what you mean, Mom!

Ohh by the way I got my newest story on my blog today! I hope you like it, Mom!


Cassie

tshsmom said...

I know. We try to suggest different things they can do WITH their kids, but I'm afraid it falls on deaf ears. These kids weren't raised that way either.

Cherie said...

It's just sort of weird, isn't it tshs. Makes no sense to me. Seems plain as the nose on my face. You are good to make helpful suggestions. Maybe it'll seep in one day. Good for you for trying.

Anonymous said...

I agree with tshsmom, and Liz, Cherie. This is more important than people realize. Thank you for being so brave to write about things that alot of us don't want to hear but should listen to.

I'm going to Cassie's blog now! :)

cecily said...

ah the dread competition. Just when I think I'm over it, it raises its head again. Nice to know we're all fighting it together though.

Cherie said...

Strength in numbers, right Cecily? Competition can be beastly. Thanks for stopping by.

Cherie said...

Annie: I don't know if it's so much brave, as the need to get it out of my system. But thanks! I so appreciate you! How'd you like Cassie's story?

Anonymous said...

I wrote this long response to your post, then deleted it. You've got me thinking about I need to do with a current problem! Good post Cherie! Thanks for the thoughts.

Cherie said...

Sandy, I've written and deleted in comment boxes myself so I understand. I have to say, though, you've got me curious. ;-)

I hope that whatever the problem is that you can find a solution that works. Ah, you will. You're very resourceful. May your thoughts be fruitful!